Looking to smile while you make awesome veggie burgers using only 3 ingredients ? I have the recipe for you!
Spring Time Sweet Potato Burgers
2 large sweet potatoes
1 bunch of cilantro
Salt, pepper and any other spices you fancy.
Shred your sweet potato and either chop into smaller pieces or add to food processor. Set this to the side and chop or process your bunch of cilantro (about 1 packed cup). Add the cilantro to your sweet potato and then mix in the spices ( I also added cumin, coriander and paprika). In another bowl lightly beat together 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs then add to sweet potato and cilantro mixture. Set oven to 350F or 180C. Form balls (smaller than a tennis ball and larger than a golf ball) and set on tray. Flatten balls with a spatula and bake those puppies for 25 mins on each side !
Enjoy on salads, in buns or with another food creation!
Happy Monday..or Sunday for those in the West 🙂 The last two weeks in Taiwan have been so cold and dreary, I thought I was back in England! No sun = much harder time to feel warm and happy! My plants sadly agree. Anyhow, we wanted to make a quick under 30 minute food creation for lunch this week and chili seemed more than appropriate. Packed with vegetables, protein, lots of warm seasonings, and of course…LOVE. This will take you about 30 minutes for both prep and cooking, depending on the hastiness of your chopping! Be creative with what you throw in and what grain you would like to serve it on. Remember, the longer anything sits and stews the more intense the flavor. I found after a 30 minute simmer the flavor was bangin’!
What you need:
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, yellow pepper and green pepper, diced. If you don’t have one of these, two will do and maybe you could substitute mushroom or eggplant?
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced into little squares
- 2 cans black beans. If you prefer not to use cans…EVEN BETTER! You can soak and prepare the black beans the day before in prep for this chili. If you are down with the can find yourself two cans of whole black beans with limited seasonings (since you will add your own).
- 1 large can or glass jar of diced tomatoes. I used whole peeled tomatoes — Because it was all I could find! If you use something other than diced, just pour your tomatoes and juice into a separate bowl and use your hands to break up the tomatoes.
- 1 cup of vegetable stock. I poured in one cup of water and added one tablespoon of vegetable stock powder!
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder — or maybe a little less? It’s up to you!
- 1/2 tablespoon of paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon of red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin — did I mention heaping tablespoon? 🙂
- Time to get it started ! Dice the garlic, onion and 3 peppers. Saute for 5 minutes until the vegetables become more tender.
- Add in all your seasonings, mix through and saute for another 2-4 minutes.
- Add in your tomatoes (with juice), black beans and sweet potatoes and mix together. Then, add in your one cup of vegetable stock or 1 cup of water + 1 tablespoon of stock! ha!
- Allow chili to simmer for 20-30 minutes with the lid on. Stir every 15 minutes and have a little taste. I think by this point you will be thoroughly impressed with yourself.
Serve on top of your favorite grain. We prepared quinoa to go with our chili.
Yummy food to add on top: avocado, green onions (scallions), sour cream or yogurt, shredded cheese
Here are some more things we devoured last week:
Homemade granola! — I will post the recipe this week!
Blueberry & Lemon Raw Cheesecakes in personal sizes! — These were INSANELY easy and I can’t believe we have not tried them before now! I will also be posting this recipe with some creative ideas to change it up!